Azure Deployments with Team City and Powershell

My constant gripe with Azure is the quality of the error messages that it emits. Over the last week I burned days trying to solve a certificate issues that did not exist. Those horrid error messages bit me again while trying to setup automated deployments from Team City to Azure.

I found some great resources to getting Azure deployments working:

Between those 3 blogs I was able to get Team City up and running with automated deployments to Azure. But for one reason the script didn’t work for me. So I’ve created a Gist with the script I’m using for the Azure deployment

Another problem I ran into, circling back to horrid error messages is my build was getting this error:

 The certificate with thumbprint was not found.


Ignore that warning! Look deeper, I got caught with trying to fix that error, as it was the first one, but the real error message is:

ResourceNotFound. Message: No deployments were found.

For me, I had the paths wrong for my cspkg for the service I was trying to deploy. So multiple errors, a path issue and a config variable issue. Once I fixed those errors it worked great.

Happy Deployments!

About: Shawn Jackson

I’ve spent the last 12 years in the world of Information Technology on both the IT and Development sides of the isle. I’m currently a Software Engineer for Paylocity. In addition to working at Paylocity, I’m also the Principal of Resgrid, a cloud services company dedicated to providing logistics and management solutions to first responder organizations, volunteer and career fire departments, EMS, ambulance services, search and rescue, public safety, HAZMAT and others. My focus is building better businesses through the use of applied, targeted and tactical software development and infrastructure implementation. My passion is solving real world business problems with technology and constant learning, in the fields of technology, business and law. I hope you enjoy reading as much as I do writing. Although I may not post as often as I would wish when I do I try and have something useful to say. Although programming is a great creative outlet it sometimes is far to technical and detail oriented to be a stress free outlet for me. So I write on this blog and sometimes a couple others. I also write fiction stories in my spare time, when I have some!